Thursday 27 August 2015

The Chilcott delay. Why?

The Chilcot delay great letter To The Times:

"When I chaired the Cleveland child-abuse inquiry in 1987, my report was critical of a number of witnesses. I sent each a copy of the relevant chapter and asked for comments. I also gave a deadline within which the replies were to be returned to me. I completed my report on more than 120 children removed from their homes on unsatisfactory medical evidence of serious sexual abuse within 11 months of starting hearing evidence. I assume the evidence in the Chilcot inquiry is enormous and the task of writing the report a daunting one, but I fail to understand why the passages critical of witnesses could not be sent to them with a deadline for the replies – if that is, indeed, the main reason for what appears to be an inordinate delay in completing the report."

Baroness Butler-Sloss, House of Lords

The letter says it all really. Why is there a delay? It's ridiculous but has helped Chilcotts pension enormously and yet further diminished "the establishment".

 

No comments: