Friday 17 April 2015

DIY - The sad truth I learnt yesterday

Yesterday was a mixed day. On the upside I managed to walk the dogs without a disaster occurring. On the downside I learnt I could no longer deny a harsh truth.

I am rubbish at DIY.

I believe I am not alone in this category. But my abject attempt at self assembling a new lawnmower was humiliating even if the dogs were the only witnesses.

I did succeed.

But it took me an hour to put together 18 parts, most of them being repeats of others. By which I mean - learn to do one and the others are identical.

I could blame the instructions but have to admit they were actually accurate but required reading whilst concentrating and then applying in a real world situation. This proved beyond me for the first 30 mins.

One other thing I have learnt is that instruction manual writers have a harder job than I had appreciated. They have to factor in people like me who are just useless at self assembly and general DIY.

Well not useless I did succeed just not in a timely manner. I reckon it would have taken 5 minutes max from box opening to completion for any DIY aficionado.


No comments: